A selection of photographs taken in the Edinburgh area.
1983 - 1990 | 1991 - 2000 | 2001 onwards  (Links to be activated when later photos added)
25285 is stabled at Millerhill on 21 July 1985. By this time the run down of the Class 25 fleet was well under way and members of the class were only making occasional visits to Edinburgh. They were once a very familiar sight in Scotland with Haymarket and Eastfield both boasting sizeable allocations. This photograph is typical of the 1980s - a variety of blue locomotives at Millerhill!
During a period of temporary locomotive haulage, 26010 passes through Princess Street Gardens with the 1435 Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy on 6 September 1986.
26028 passes through Waverley with an eastbound train of empty car transporters on 1 April 1985.
27103 runs light engine from Platform 17 at Waverley on 1 March 1985.
37154 threads through Princes Street Gardens on 3 July 1984 with the Edinburgh portion of the 0930 train from Liverpool.
Only a couple of weeks before the closure of the freightliner terminal at Portobello, 37188 heads the 1530 Edinburgh - Glasgow freightliner at Kingsknowe on 18 March 1987. My records suggest that the final train ran on 3 April that year with 37200 in charge (I do have photos of that service but the weather was pretty awful!). Arthur's Seat is clearly seen in the background, showing why it is sometimes described as looking like a lion at rest.
40057 departs from Waverley with an additional service to Kings Cross on 8 April 1983.
A Class 47 at Meadowbank with the 1538 Carlisle - Edinburgh in April 1984. This working was introduced by extending an Edinburgh - Newcastle service and return working to Carlisle, bringing locomotive hauled passenger services to the Tyne Valley route. The service ran for a number of years from 1981 and motive power could be quite varied ranging from Deltics (thanks to Stuart Fuller for confirming this) to Peaks and Class 40s, supplementing the more usual Class 47s.
On the four track section at Carrick Knowe, where the lines from Fife and Glasgow converged it was sometimes possible to see trains running in parallel. On 19 June 1987 47709 "The Lord Provost" is in charge of the 1430 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh on the left with 47707 "Holyrood" slightly ahead on the right with the 1240 from Aberdeen to Edinburgh. In 2004 47709 is still in service with Fragonset Railways.
47224 approaches Edinburgh from the west at Carrick Knowe on 19 June 1987 with empty car transporters from Bathgate heading back to Washwood Heath in Birmingham. Bathgate has for many years been linked with the automotive industry, with a British Leyland factory building trucks and tractor until 1986 and a distribution centre for new cars, still being brought in by rail in 2004. In the early part of the 1980s Class 40s were a common sight on the Bathgate car trains.
47430 is stabled at Waverley in May 1986. The locomotive is painted in a variant of the "Inter-City" livery which was in use at the time, with ScotRail branding (although this was different from the Class 47/7s which had a blue lower bodyside stripe). As Class 47s in a multitude of different colour schemes disappear from the railway scene it is sobering to remember how much of a change from BR blue the new liveries in the mid-1980s actually were!
47462 heads north from Millerhill light engine on 6 July 1987. The large yellow sticker above the number is a 'Highland Rail' sticker which was a common adornment for Inverness based locomotives at the time.
47484 "Isambard Kingdom Brunel" departs from Waverley on 21 June 1984 with the 1418 service to Dundee.
47511 "Thames" runs light engine through Waverley on 3 May 1984.
47617 passes Carrick Knowe on 19 June 1987 with the 1030 from Inverness to Euston. At this time Inverness enjoyed two daytime trains to London, but in 2004 only the Kings Cross service remained. The Euston train was the first service to be introduced and originally was routed via Cumbernauld and Mossend (the only daylight passenger service via this route at the time) but in its latter years it was diverted to serve Edinburgh.
The 1430 Edinburgh - Glasgow push-pull service is seen passing Broomhouse on the western outskirts of the city on the 18 March 1985 being propelled by 47713. At this time the ScotRail identity was being introduced, although this set is missing one vehicle and the first class coach is a Mk2 example rather than the normal Mk3.
Class 101 at Carrick Knowe on 19 June 1987 with the 1410 from Edinburgh to Dunblane.