Photographs from the East Coast Main Line

I'm taking a very broad view of the ECML, covering the entire route from Aberdeen to King's Cross (except for Fife which has its own section).


Click here for the full image (92kb)

A short MGR operation was from the Blindwells opencast site just east of Prestonpans to Cockenzie power station. On 28 May 1990 26001 waits for the road on to the ECML with a loaded MGR service.  Once the Blindwells operation had come to an end the site was landscaped and passing travellers may not realise that an opencast coal mine once existed on the site.


Click here for the full image (78kb)

A little earlier, 15 February 1989 to be exact, the same locomotive (26001) hauls a service from Blindwells to Cockenzie over the facing crossover at Prestonpans heading for the up loop giving access to the Cockenzie branch.


Click here for the full image (92kb)

After a short while 26001 has propelled its MGR train from Blindwells into the reception sidings at Cockenzie.


Click here for the full image (35kb)

47308 is seen a few hundred yards west of Prestonpans station with a cement train from Oxwellmains on 11 March 1987.  Cement traffic continues to be despatched on a daily basis from the cement works near Dunbar but in 2003 the traffic was in the hands of Class 66s operated by Freightliner.


Click here for the full image (80kb)

47417 stands at York on 20 February 1988 with the 1025 from Newcastle to Liverpool.  Locomotive haulage continued on these services until 1991 and this locomotive, one of the original batch of Class 47s, was one of the last 'Generators' in service and has been preserved at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley.


Click here for the full image (89kb)

47450 passes Inveresk on 26 June 1987 with the 4M77 empty car transporters from Bathgate to Washwood Heath.


Click here for the full image (107kb)

47483 passes Inveresk on 26 June 1987 heading south with the British Coal exhibition train.


Click here for the full image (99kb)

In the days before EWS gave up on using Class 47s on charter trains, 47733 approaches Musselburgh station on 15 March 2003 with the Northern Belle.


Click here for the full image (78kb)

47818 passes Musselburgh on 7 February 1999 with 1Z60 Edinburgh to Swansea, which I suspect would be a returning rugby special for South Wales.


Click here for the full image (93kb)

In 2004 local weekday services from Edinburgh to North Berwick were being operated by Class 90s and Mk3 coaches in push pull formation as ScotRail could not source EMUs.  90023 arrives at Musselburgh with the 1017 from North Berwick to Edinburgh on 13 July 2004.


Click here for the full image (72kb)

An unusual sight at Musselburgh on 13 July 2004 as 91108 heads northbound light engine.


Click here for the full image (78kb)

Before the ECML was electrified local services from Edinburgh to North Berwick were generally in the hands of Class 101 units.  Here one is seen at Prestonpans on 7 June 1984.


Click here for the full image (106kb)

A Class 101 DMU with the 1004 North Berwick to Edinburgh at Inveresk on 30 June 1987.


Click here for the full image (56kb) Another Class 101 DMU is seen at the North Berwick terminus after arrival with a train from Edinburgh in August 1985.  This photograph was taken after the station buildings were demolished.  Originally the station comprised two platforms (with a scissors crossing for engine release) and a goods yard.  Following the introduction of DMU operation the branch was singled but the station retained its buildings until the beginning of 1985.  The station is now a shadow of its former self, but at least the town retains its rail service.  An excellent account of the branch can be found in Andrew Hajducki's "The North Berwick and Gullane Branch Lines" (Oakwood Press).
Click here for the full image (45kb) On 28 February 1987 a Class 107/116/107 hybrid DMU formation (with the final vehicle in Strathclyde PTE livery) approaches the junction at Drem with the 1503 North Berwick - Haymarket.


Click here for the full image (45kb) On 17 April 1987 a Strathclyde PTE liveried Class 107 DMU approaches Drem station with the 1504 North Berwick - Haymarket.